Friday, January 29, 2021

BBC Sound Effects Archive

Back in the day, I worked part-time in radio, and I got to occasionally work in the studio helping to record commercials. I loved finding interesting sound effects (at the time, you bought vinyl LPs of effects). It's much simpler now that you can download them from the Internet. But where do you look for effects that are royalty-free and won't get you into trouble for using them?

Look no further than the BBC Sound Effects Archive. You can use the effects for free for non-commercial or educational purposes, with some conditions laid out on their licensing page. Their terms are clearly explained and not onerous.

Effects are grouped into categories like machines, animals, nature, or daily life. There aren't any subcategories, so it might be easier just to use the search function; for example, I found 91 effects when I searched on "cats". (I'm going to download a few to annoy my cats 😀). 

There is a Sound Mixer link but I couldn't get it to do anything.

This should be a great resource for podcasters, or anyone who just wants to mess around with effects in an editor. It might also be a good source of sounds for your phone's ringtones or notifications. 



No comments: