Thursday, March 02, 2023

An Appreciation of Everything Everywhere All at Once

I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once a couple of months ago and enjoyed it. Despite not knowing exactly what was going on for most of the movie, I kept watching. It is an absolutely bravura piece of filmmaking, and I must find time to watch it again. 

When I do watch it again, I will have a better appreciation of some of the ideas and themes thanks to this appreciation of the movie written by Soon Lee. If you are averse to spoilers, obviously you'll want to watch the movie first before reading this, but do read it. 

It is the most remarkable movie I have seen in years. It straddles multiple genres, Science Fiction, you can ‘Verse Jump’ to access the skills and abilities of alternate universe versions of yourself, Drama, exploring family relationships, Action, with spectacular martial arts fight sequences, lowbrow Comedy, with dildo and buttplug fights, all in a surprisingly cohesive whole. It is also a quintessential Chinese-American immigrant story. I can talk about its technical brilliance like its use of visual symbology, aspect ratios, or color palettes, and I will. But none of that brilliance matters without the core story. At heart Everything Everywhere All at Once is about finding meaning amongst the noise and chaos of modern life. It’s about the power of kindness. Everything Everywhere All at Once is the movie we didn’t know we needed in 2022.

I do hope it wins the Best Picture Oscar this year. And definitely, Michelle Yeoh should win for her acting. 



No comments: