Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Movie and TV Reviews - July 2022

Short reviews of movies and TV shows we watched in July. 

Movies

  • West Side Story: I've liked West Side Story ever since seeing the movie when I was in high school. (I'm not a big fan of musicals, but this is one of the handful that I like). I wasn't expecting much from the remake, but I was wrong. It's wonderful. While the music and the dancing are top notch, it's the cinematography that blew me away. This is a movie that I could watch without the sound and still enjoy. I really regret not seeing it on the big screen. (Crave)
  • The Fifth Element: We watched this on BluRay the night Rogers died when we couldn't stream anything. It's just as dumb as I remember it, but it has a satirical edge that I missed the first time through. Better the second time around. 
  • The Gray Man: We were looking for a mindless action flick for Saturday night and thought this might be suitable. Unfortunately, my bad movie self-defence mechanism kicked in and I fell asleep halfway through. It's a standard action thriller but the Russo brothers have opted not to light half the scenes, which made it unwatchable for me. I don't know why so many current movies are so dark, but it's really beginning to grate on me. (Netflix)
  • Last Night in Soho: I was looking forward to seeing this as it had gotten good reviews and I wasn't disappointed. What starts out as a typical coming-of-age movie (young woman goes to the big city to find fame and fortune) turns into a gripping exercise in psychological horror. It's a brilliant, bravura piece of filmmaking. (Crave)

TV Shows

  • The Hidden Life of Pets: The series swerves over into "too cute for words" territory occasionally but I still enjoyed it. It's not just about dogs and cats, though they get their place, but birds, rodents, and reptiles are also featured. (Netflix)
  • Brokenwood Mysteries, season 8: More in the continuing Aussie detective series (filmed in Australia, set in New Zealand). Light entertainment but we are enjoying it. (Acorn TV)
  • Monty Don's Adriatic Gardens: Venice, Croatia, and Greece are featured in this series of gardening travelogues. I have no urge to visit Venice, but Croatia and Greece are another matter. (Acorn TV)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Well, it got better as the season progressed and the last couple of episodes were OK. Still, I just don't see the point of trying to reboot a tired and used-up idea. (Crave)
  • Grantche5ster (season 7): It amazes me how such a small English village can have so many murders, and that there are any eligible females that vicar Will has not yet slept with. (PBS Masterpiece)

No comments: