Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Movie and TV Reviews - June 2022

Short reviews of movies and TV shows we watched in June. Despite it being baseball season, we seem to have watched a lot of shows this month, probably because most of them only had a few episodes. 

Movies

  • I Want You Back: A slightly better than average rom-com. (Amazon Prime)
  • The Contractor: B-grade action flick. I watched it three weeks ago and I cannot remember anything about it. (Amazon Prime)
  • Interceptor: The only reason to watch this is to watch a buff woman beat up on a bunch of bad guys. Don't even try to rationalize the plot or your brain will melt. (Netflix)
  • Doctor Stange in the Multiverse of Madness: I am mad at myself for spending two hours watching this. I enjoyed the first Doctor Strange movie but this one is just an effects-heavy mess. 

TV Shows

  • Bosch: Legacy. This season continues with Bosch being a private detective and his daughter a police trainee. If you liked the original series (I did), you'll like this. (Amazon Prime)
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi: This should have been a 2-hour movie. It reinforced my dislike of most of the Star Wars stories. Trying to do character development in what is essentially a fairy tale just doesn't work. (Disney+)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds: It is very much a modern version of the original series without the darker elements that showed up in Discovery. So far it hasn't grabbed me. I do wish producers would stop trying to recreate the past and move on to something new. Written SF moved on a long time ago. 
  • Stranger Things, season 4: I do hope this is the final season. The show has lost the charm of the first couple of seasons. (Netflix)
  • Prehistoric Planet: A dead-on recreation of the classic nature films with David Attenborough and dinosaurs. What more could you ask for? (Apple+)
  • London Kills, season 3: One of the better British police procedurals.  Almost as intense as Line of Duty. (Acorn TV)
  • Fifty Shades of Green: A fast tour of the 50 best gardens in Britain featuring some truly beautiful and unique gardens. I wish it had been spread out over several episodes instead of crammed into an hour.
  • Signora Volpe: A British spy takes a vacation in Italy and hijinks ensure. Worth watching for the gorgeous Umbrian scenery if nothing else. (Acorn TV)
  • Martin Klunes: Islands of the Pacific. A three-episode travelogue conducted by the actor, Martin Klunes, star of Doc Martin and Manhunt. I enjoyed it a lot. I learned something about a part of the world I will probably never visit and it's gorgeous to look at. (Acorn TV)


No comments: