Monday, July 25, 2022

A Good Weekly Newsletter

I get quite a few email newsletters but one I always look forward to reading is Field Notes

Field Notes is a weekly newsletter of urban nature writing and photography from author Christopher Brown. Subscribers receive every new edition of the newsletter directly to your inbox, so you won’t have to worry about missing anything.

Brown is the author of three near-future science fiction novels and lives in Austin, Texas. While I yet read any of his novels (two of them are sitting in the to-be-read collection on my Kindle), I always read and enjoy Field Notes as soon as it hits my inbox. Here's a brief excerpt from this week's newsletter.

It was a few degrees short of a hundred when I took my next break at mid-day and decided to go for a run despite the heat. An urban trail run that sought out the shade, following the bulldozer paths under the new onramp down to the old jeep roads that traverse the woods beneath the bridge. The young deer whose spotted fur I had seen a couple weeks earlier was gone to bones now, mostly desiccated there a few steps from the exit lane that had killed it.

It made me think about the challenges our automotive habitat provides for young animals to try to survive into adulthood and their own reproductive years, and whether the coming generation of self-driving robot cars will improve the situation. Later in the day, the memory got me thinking about what challenges the planet we have made presents for the survival of our own young.

No comments: