Saturday, April 09, 2022

Saturday Sounds - Jefferson Airplane - Up Against the Wall

Today's music is a bootleg by the Jefferson Airplane, the first San Francisco psychedelic band to make the big time. I saw them twice in Detroit, the second time just a few months before when this album was recorded. They were the loudest band I've ever heard and their performance, at the East Town Theater, was absolutely transcendent. This album sounds close to the way I remember them, with the late Paul Kantner's 12-string way up in the mix, the way it should always be.

Most of this album comes from the broadcast of a show called "Go Ride the Music" on PBS, which I remember watching when I was in university. For a better sounding representation of their live performance, check out "The Woodstock Experience", which contains their entire set from the Woodstock music festival. 


No comments: