Saturday, April 23, 2022

Saturday Sounds - Broken Social Scene

Thanks to my beautiful daughter for taking me to Massey Hall Thursday night to see Broken Social Scene

I first heard them around the time that their album, You Forgot It In People came out in 2002.

As much as I liked the album (a lot), it wasn't until I saw them at Harbourfont in 2004, taking my tween daughter to her first rock concert, that I really got into their music. In 2009, we saw them again at Harbourfront, in a concert that became part of the film, This Movie Is Broken. It was as close to a perfect concert as I've ever been to, and the best concert I've been to in at least a couple of decades. 

Broken Social Scene's Toronto concerts are always special. While the touring band of six or seven musicians is great, in Toronto they usually have a larger ensemble - at one point Thursday, I think there were fourteen musicians and singers on stage. In a full two-hour set, they covered some of their classics and newer material, aided at the end of the set by the incredible drummer, Sarah Thawer. 

The opening act, Georgia Harmer, was also very good and I would have enjoyed seeing more of her. 

The renovated Massey Hall is a vast improvement and the restoration is beautifully done. There are now walkways along the side of the building that take you to a large lobby area behind the stage with food, drinks, and washrooms. And there are elevators! The main floor seats can be removed (and stored under the stage, I think) providing a dance floor that the crowd took full advantage of. 



No comments: