Tuesday, December 01, 2020

TV and Movie Reviews - November 2020

Here are some short reviews of things I watched in November. My viewing pattern has been disrupted because my wife is spending a lot of time taking care of her mother, so I haven't been watching a lot of shows that I know she wants to see.

Movies

  • You Only Live Twice: I don't think that even a super-villain can hide a rocket launch inside a volcanic crater. Even in 1967, somebody would have noticed. Other than that, typical early Bond.
  • Diamonds Are Forever: Unlike the big spectacle of post-From Russia With Love Bond flicks, this was a return to the first, more physical Bond. Much to my surprise, I realized that I never saw this one before. I honestly don't know how I missed seeing it at some point in the last 50 years. 
  • The Man Who Would Be King: Sean Connery rules in this John Houston adaptation of a Rudyard Kipling story. 
  • Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds: Directed by Werner Herzog, this is a light documentary about meteors. There are a few notable moments, the meteorite hunting scene in Antarctica especially good. (Apple TV+)
  • The Matrix: Reloaded: It's less philosophically interesting than the first movie, but the effects are much better. (Netflix)
  • The Untouchables: This has one of Sean Connery's best performances, for which he won an Oscar, and is expertly directed by Brian de Palma. It still holds up quite well. (Amazon Prime)

TV Shows and Videos

  • Jazz: A Film by Ken Burns: I finally finished watching the series and enjoyed it immensely. I may watch some of it again, just for some of the performance clips, especially from the period before the 1950s. (PBS)
  • Country Music: A Film by Ken Burns: I've watched four episodes of this and am enjoying it. Country music is definitely not my favourite musical genre, but the quality of some of the songs and performances is undeniable. (PBS)
  • Nova: Touching an Asteroid: Fascinating doc about the mission to bring back samples from the asteroid Bennu. (PBS)
  • Nova: Kilauea: Hawaii on Fire: I rewatched this one. I visited Hawaii and Kilauea in the 1980s so this was especially interesting. The scenes of encroaching lava are terrifying. (PBS)
  • War of the Worlds: Apparently there is a second season coming, which hopefully will explain WTF is going on. The first season had eight episodes, and it easily could have been cut down to three or four. Definitely not recommended. (CBC Gem)
  • Classic Albums: Who's Next: If you like The Who, this is a must watch for the performance clips and track breakdowns. Favourite part - the isolation of Keith Moon's drumming on "My Wife". (Amazon Prime)


No comments: