Thursday, September 26, 2019

Pocket Casts Has Been Updated

The other day I noticed that the Pocket Casts app on my phone had some new features; it had been updated in the background without me noticing. As it turns out, the feature update is part of a major revamp of the application.

For one thing, the mobile app (IOS or Android) is now free; it used to be $3.99. The desktop player is now $1.00 a month or $10 per year. If you paid for the desktop player in the past, it will be free.

New features include the ability to select multiple instances of a podcast at once and mark them as played, download them, or archive them. This is handy and a much needed feature if, like me, you subscribe to a lot of podcasts but there are some you listen to only occasionally.

I did have one problem after the upgrade. The app kept stopping on me. After some googling, I found a topic on their support site that described this problem and provided a solution (I had to fiddle with the battery management settings on my phone).

I've been using Pocket Casts now for about three years and it's earned a spot on my phone's home screen. There are many other podcast apps out there, but I can't think of anything that they could offer that would cause me to switch to something else.


No comments: