Friday, September 06, 2019

Documenting Software Architecture

For most of my career at the TSX, I reported to the director of architecture. That's an odd placement for a technical writer, but it made sense considering the way the development groups were structured. As well as giving me a good view of the overall development picture, I got to work with software architects on some of their documentation.

Learning about software architecture at a high level will help most technical writers understand how the systems they're documenting work and fit into the larger world. The article, Document Software Architecture, by Herberto Graca, will give you a good overview of what software architecture is and the various ways it can be documented. Based on my own experience, I'd rate it quite highly.


No comments: