Friday, September 27, 2019

Four Reasons To Use Office Online

I came across the article,
Don’t Pay for Microsoft Word! 4 Reasons to Use Office Online Instead, recently and it prompted me to have a look at Office Online. I can't say that I was impressed.

Yes, it's free and offers some collaborative features. That might do for a simple draft of something. But there's so much missing. The first document I tried to open was password protected; the online version of Word wouldn't open it. Not only that, I couldn't get rid of the warning dialog so I had to close the tab.

Many useful features are missing, track changes, for example. No macros; for me that's a biggie. No cross references either.

The online version of Word might do for a quick letter or note, but I can't imagine using it for anything halfway complex. Even Google Docs, despite its many flaws, is better and at least offers add-ins that provide some of the missing features in the base version.

I might have to upgrade my copy of Office 2013 at some point, but I'll stick with the desktop version, thank you very much.

No comments: