Sunday, December 09, 2018

David Crosby and the Lighthouse Band at the Capitol Theatre

Last night, the Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY presented David Crosby and the Lighthouse Band, and thanks to Relix Magazine, the concert was webcast live. It was wonderful, at least until the feed crapped out at the beginning of the second set. So I was very glad to see that the whole show is up on YouTube.

The Lighthouse Band features Michael League of Snarky Puppy, Becca Stevensn, and Michelle Willis, and this is very much a band show where they get to show their instrumental and vocal talents. Most of the songs were written by the band or its members in collaboration with Crosby, although there are a few Crosby classics (Laughing, Guinevere, Carry Me and more) mostly in the second set.

I enjoyed this show immensely. I've been a fan of Crosby's music ever since hearing the Byrds when I was in high school. He's a wonderful singer and he still sounds good  in his seventies, not a mean feat. I think playing with younger musicians has revitalized him, something he alludes to in his between song patter. My favourite moment of the concert is in the last song of the first set, at about 1:23:30 in the linked video, a short instrumental bridge of such exquisite beauty it brought tears to my eyes.

After watching this, I'm kicking myself for not going to see him when he came to Toronto a couple of years ago. I won't make that mistake again.



No comments: