Friday, December 21, 2018

Corsair K55 RBG Gaming Keyboard

I bought myself an early Christmas present–a Corsair K55 RBG gaming keyboard. I have been using a Logitech keyboard for the last few years. It haa backlit keys, a necessity for me at home, but the keys are laptop style, flat and slippery, and I found that I was making far too many typos.

The Corsair K55 is a low-end gaming keyboard. I got it because it's cheap as these things go, it has multi-colour illumination for the keys, and it's fairly quiet. I tried some more expensive keyboards, which had mechanical switches, but most of them were noisy. The Corsair has a decent feel for touch typing and I've already found my typing speed is much faster than on the Logitech keybaord.

The lighting controls are basic - the keyboard is divided into three zones and you can only set the colours for a zone. I would have liked more control (setting a different colour for the home keys would be nice, as would the abilty to turn off the edge lighting along the rows of keys).

I did install Corsair's iCUE software, which lets set profiles for different games and the like, and offers more colour choices, but found the software impossible to use due to lack of help or documentation, so I uninstalled it.

The keyboard has six programmable macro keys on the left edge. I'll probably find a use for them, but the first thing I'll do is set the first one to act as an ESC key because it's right next to the ESC key and I keep hitting it. There are also buttons for sound and media control, which is a useful feature.

For the price, the K55 is a good value, as long as you don't want mechanical key switches and total control over keyboard illumination. Hardcore gamers will probably want something more advanced but for my purposes it will do.


No comments: