Saturday, August 29, 2026

Saturday Sounds - Miles Davis Live in Berlin 1969

YouTube's algorithm keeps presenting me with some real gems, and today's post is one of them: Miles David Live in Berlin 1969. I don't know anything about the video other than it appear to be from a German jazz festival and I'm guessing it was shown on German TV. The video quality is about what you'd expect from 1969 but the sound is fine. 

In any case, it's a spectacular performance featuring, along with Davis, Jack DeJohnette on drums, Dave Holland on bass, Chick Corea on keys, and Wayne Shorter on sax. You can't ask for more, except maybe for a longer video.

Here's the tracklist.

00:00 - Introduction
02:02 - Directions
08:52 - Bitches Brew
22:41 - It's About That Time
37:22 - I Fall in Love Too Easily
40:50 - Sanctuary
44:27 - The Theme

It's interesting to hear early versions of some of the material ("Bitches Brew" and "Sanctuary:" that ended up on the Bitches Brew album the next year. I have to wonder what the audience thought of the new material. Enjoy!

No comments: