Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Moving on from Twitter

Somewhat to my surprise, Twitter is still up and running despite losing more than half of its staff. I have noticed occasional glitches and dropouts in my feed, which leads me to suspect that not all is well in the dark, fetid recesses of the server rooms. All is certainly not well in the moderation department, especially now that troglodytes like 45 and Marjorie Taylor Greene have been allowed back on the service. (To his credit, Elon Musk draws the line at reinstating Alex Jones).

I'll keep following my Twitter feed for now, but I have set up an account on Mastodon: @ksoltys@twit.social. I've been laying low there, just following what people are posting, but I expect to be more active in the future. So far, Mastodon seems easy enough to use and many of the people I follow on Twitter have set up accounts there. Mostly I've been using the web interface because the Android client is rather limited in its features. Given that Mastodon is open source, I hope that will eventually change.

Although superficially similar to Twitter, Mastodon has a very different architecture. In this article, the original developer, Eugen Rochko, explains the philosophy behind Mastodon's development and what the future might hold for it.

If you're thinking about leaving Twitter for greener pastures, Mobile Syrup describes several of the alternatives

If you follow a lot of people on Twitter, it's likely that many of them will have accounts on Mastodon. If they've included their Mastodon account as part of their Twitter profile, it's easy to transfer them from your Twitter feed to Mastodon. There are a couple of utilities that will help you do this. You can use Feditfinder or DeBirdify. You'll have to allow them to access your Twitter account, but after that, the process is straightforward and documented on the apps' pages. 

No comments: