Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Changing the Order of Styles in Word's Style Gallery

Microsoft has never prioritized the use of styles in Microsoft Word. I've always used them and found them to be a great timesaver, but in my long experience with Word, I've found few people who use them often and consistently (most of them are fellow technical writers). 

When Microsoft introduced the ribbon in Word 2007, I thought that having a chunk of the ribbon devoted to styles would get more people using them, but that turned out no to be the case. After working with the ribbon for a while, I found out how to modify the styles displayed in my Gallery. That made it easier to show people how to use them.

Office Watch has published a good article on how to change the order of the styles displayed in the Style Gallery. Setting this up properly is key to helping people use styles. As the article shows, Microsoft doesn't make it obvious, but it's easy enough to do once you see how.

If you aren't using styles in Word, why not start now? It will save you a lot of time and help to keep your document formatting consistent. I've published quite a few articles about styles; find them in the Microsoft Word topic on this blog. 


No comments: