Thursday, November 17, 2022

Giving Up on Shadow Captain

I haven't posted much about what I've been reading recently, mainly because I haven't been reading much fiction. Most of my reading these days has been news-related or magazines from the library via the PressReader or Libby apps. I have been trying to catch up on the To Be Read collection on my Kindle, but without much success.

The latest book I've been reading is Shadow Captain by Alastair Reynolds. It's the middle book of a trilogy that started with Revenger, which I read a couple of years ago, and Bone Silence. Here's the précis of Revenger from Wikipedia.

Tens of millions of years in the future, sisters Adrana and Arafura ('Fura') Ness are skilled bone readers—the primary method by which spaceships communicate with one another. Their skill at bone reading leads them to be taken on as apprentices aboard Monetta's Mourn, a spaceship captained by Pol Rackamore. Rackamore and his crew engage in the practice of finding ancient technological artifacts, called "baubles". While in search of these artifacts, Monetta's Mourn is attacked by the infamous space pirate Bosa Sennen, separating the sisters and leaving Fura adrift on a ship in empty space.

I enjoyed Revenger, mostly for the setting that Reynolds developed. But Shadow Captain was another matter. I just couldn't get into the story and found the pseudo-archaic style that Reynolds used annoying. Halfway through the book. I gave up. Reynolds is one of my favourite authors, and I've read most of his books and enjoyed them. But this series just didn't work for me. 

So now I'm on the A Memory of Empire by Arkady Martine, winner of the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2019. My initial impression is quite positive.


No comments: