Friday, July 31, 2020

Trey Anastasio Issues New Solo Album

Here's another musical treat for you. Trey Anastasio, guitarist for Phish, has released a solo album today. It's called Lonely Trip and was recorded at his New York apartment while in isolation during the pandemic. It's more sparse than his usual solo projects but very listenable. And generous - 15 songs. It's available for listening on the major streaming sites, or you can buy it from LivePhish.com.

Trey had this to say about it.
Lonely Trip was conceived and recorded in isolation at my home studio (aka Rubber Jungle) during the peak of New York City’s COVID-19 crisis, March - July, 2020. When the lockdown began, I had by chance just completed a weekend songwriting session with my friends and longtime collaborators Tom Marshall and Scott Herman. That session took place March 13th and 14th just as the crisis was beginning in New York, so the themes of fear and isolation were already finding their way into those first songs. By the time I arrived home, the situation in NYC had gotten much worse.  

Knowing I wasn’t going to be leaving my apartment for a while, I started working. It felt therapeutic to write. I wanted to connect with our community in some way.  The unplanned nature of the recording meant I didn’t have a lot of gear during this process. I had an electric and an acoustic guitar, a small amp, two microphones, some percussion, and two keyboards, including an old Kurzweil with very realistic drum sounds on it. Everything was recorded through a Spire 8-track. Lonely Trip is truly a raw, low-fi recording.
Here's the album on Spotify.



No comments: