Tuesday, May 02, 2023

Gordon Lightfoot, RIP

Gordon Lightfoot died last night, leaving a giant hole in the hearts of music-loving Canadians. His music has been part of the soundtrack of my life ever since I was a teenager. Sadly, I only saw him perform once, when I was in university. It wasn't an ideal concert setting, in a basketball gym, but he managed to win over an audience of rowdy university students. I heard later that he and his band had killed off most of a 24 between sets, and the second set was definitely much better.

Here's a tribute and a funny story about Lightfoot from SF author, Elizabeth Bear. 

I was pretty sure Gordon Lightfoot was going to live forever, but I see on the slowly entropizing Twitter machine that he’s passed away.

So this seems like a good time to tell a story I have from a man I used to work for (also now gone) who used to be the road manager for one Waylon Jennings (RIP, you may have heard of him).

So, my former boss had an awful lot of stories, including the one about Kris Kristofferson going AWOL and stealing a helicopter, which he landed on Johnny Cash’s lawn so he could hand Cash a sheaf of song lyrics before the MPs grabbed him. But his Gordon Lightfoot story was my favorite.

No comments: