Saturday, October 22, 2022

Saturday Sounds - Legend of the USS Titanic and Jack Johnson

Back when I was in university, Detroit's wonderful underground FM station, WABX, often played a long, twisted, talking blues song about the Titanic and the great black boxer, Jack Johnson. Thanks to Google and YouTube, I finally tracked it down, so to speak. It's "Legend of the USS Titanic", by Jaime Brockett. I don't think I've heard it since the early 1970s and it's very much as I remember it. If you listen to the whole song, you'll understand why it was so popular with a certain segment of the progressive radio audience of the time.

To go along with the mention of Jack Johnson, here's Miles Davis's 1970  album, Jack Johnson. I don't see it mentioned much when people talk about Mile's music of the period, but it deserves more attention. It's loud, intense, and angry music played by a powerhouse band.



 


No comments: