Friday, December 03, 2021

Why You Can't Hear Movie Dialogue

I often have trouble following dialogue in movies and TV shows. I've attributed the problem to my aging ears and not having a good enough sound system (it's good but not up to current state-of-the-art). But according to this article, it may not be all my fault.

 As it turns out, the reason for poor sound is often inherent in the way the movie's sound is recorded and mixed. There are several reasons for this, which the article describes in detail. Another reason is the compression applied by broadcast and streaming services. I've noticed, for example, that Netflix usually has very good sound quality, while the sound on Amazon Prime Video can be quite variable. 

The article also discusses the sound quality (or lack of it) in cinemas. I haven't found this to be a problem, at least not in the last decade or so. (Don't get me started on projection quality, though). 



3 comments:

Benoit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Benoit said...

Hello, Keith,

Do tell us about projection quality... ;-)

Cheers!

Benoit

Keith Soltys said...

I generally find most movies are not projected brightly enough. I thought it was just me (I am visually impaired and have terrible night vision), until I saw the article linked in this blog post from the previous version of this blog.

http://www.soltys.ca/blog/2017/01/the-dying-of-the-light.html

I've found the projection at the closest Landmark Cinemas to be generally better than Cineplex theatres. Mind you, I've only been to one movie since the beginning of the pandemic and that was at an IMAX theatre, which was just fine.